Sunday 28 December 2014

The Films I Liked In 2014...

Please indulge me with my cinematic highlights of 2014 (as always in no particular order):

1) Locke - who would have thought that a film set almost entirely on a car journey with conversations held entirely over the phone, would be so tense and so good, but 'Locke' is just that.

2) Under The Skin - that title is so apt as the film 'does what it says on the tin': eerie, creepy and moving with a cracking score and a brilliant turn by Adam Pearson. 'Under The Skin' is all these things and more.

3) We Are The Best - a 'coming of age' film for the teen punk in all of us. Who knew 80s Swedish punk songs were so cool?

4) Frank - this is the second musical film in my list. 'Frank' was weird but very moving and who doesn't like Frank's 'Most Likeable Song Ever'?


5) Begin Again - another musical based film in my list. Whilst not quite as good as 'Once' it still made me leave the cinema with a smile and I like Keira Knightley's singing voice.


6) Boyhood - the experiment that worked. As a Linklater fan I was probably pre-disposed to liking this but it exceeded my expectations. Funny, moving and reflective. Just remember "Life doesn't give you bumpers."

7) Two Days, One Night - a wonderful film about the local effect of globalization. Marion Cotillard might never have been better. Plus the film taught me that Petula Clark did an awesome cover of 'Needles And Pins' in French.


8) The Babadook - a cracking psychological chiller about loss and grief with standout performances by Essie Davis and Noah Wiseman. Don't think I will be purchasing the book though.

9) Northern Soul - another film that gave me the 'warm and fuzzies'. I'm so glad Elaine Constantine was able to bring her vision to the screen.

10) God Help The Girl - yet another musical movie and another one to give me those 'warm and fuzzies'. Plus I can't stop humming songs from this quirky delight.


11) Ida - I know I'm not alone in praising this movie but it's totally deserved. Really hoping it gets nominated for Best Foreign Language film at the Oscars.

12) Paddington - a late entry but one that totally charmed me and definitely ranks high on the 'warm and fuzzy' scale (and I don't mean Paddington's awesome CGI fur).

Honorable mentions to 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier' (paranoia, seedy governments and Robert Redford!), 'Nightcrawler' (has Gyllenhaal been better?), 'The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1' (a worthy entry to the series) and 'The LEGO Movie' (everything about it is indeed awesome).

No comments:

Post a Comment