Tuesday 29 December 2015

The Films I Liked In 2015...

Everybody else is doing it, so why can't I* tell you about my cinematic highlights of 2015? These are in no particular order:

1) Whiplash - I still wonder if I am rushing or dragging, but this film had me leaving the cinema punching the air in exhilaration.

2) The Duke Of Burgundy - a wonderfully mesmerizing watch. This was the S&M movie to watch in 2015!

3) Wild - possibly Reese Witherspoon's finest performance. Oh and I really enjoyed this parody of the trailer:

4) Still Alice - a difficult but rewarding watch, which may have caused some manly moisture around my eyes.

5) Ex Machina - a great, considered piece on man and AI, which goes nicely with this piece on 'The AI Revolution'.

6) Pitch Perfect 2 - not as good as the first one but it still had me leaving the cinema with a smile on my face.

7) Ant-Man - possibly my favorite Marvel movie yet because it was not about saving the world, but just about a man winning back his daughter.

8) The Martian - if only because since seeing the movie I have been saying "I'm going to have to science the shit out of this" as much as possible. (Also it was ace!)

9) Star Wars - The Force Awakens - because Star Wars!

10) Mad Max: Fury Road - Furiosa was just such an awesome character. Who would have thought that *the* action movie of 2015 would be directed by 70 year old George Miller?!

11) Gregory's Girl - a slight cheat (given that the film was originally released in 1981) but I saw a special screening followed by a Q&A with the cast, which delighted me no end.

12) Slow West - a wonderful meditative western.

Honorable mentions to 'The Hunger Games: Mocking Jay - Part 2' ( a decent end to the series), 'Far From The Madding Crowd', 'Good Kill' and 'Selma'.
*With apologies to The Cranberries.

No comments:

Post a Comment